Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Preaching to the Lamanites

This week went alright. Nothing major but we stayed busy.


Yesterday we made an effort to go preach the gospel to the Lamanites. I wish I could get my hands on some of the techniques used to teach the Indians from people like Parley P. Pratt or Peter Whitmer or something. But it can't be that hard right?? We went out to the the Big Horn Indian reserve yesterday after having set up appointments and it was a good show. Just about got eaten by dogs though. Good time for sure. 

There is a guy in our area who we've been trying to get in touch with for a while and we finally did. He's about 30 and had contact with the missionaries about 2 years ago. He has read all the bible and the apocrypha and is quite knowledgeable. He was chill but he kind of wanted to argue and bash. But most of the conversation was good. He didn't have a totally religious belief until he started reading the bible as a teenager. he prayed to be filled with the Holy Spirit and told us it happened. Said he spoke in tongues for like 10 minutes. Now occasionally he goes and lays hands on the sick (people with canes and walkers and stuff) and heals them. Not the first guy I've run into who does that kind of stuff. Not really sure what to think of it, but bless his heart for his intent I suppose. He agreed to read the Book of Mormon if we would read the epistle to the Hebrews. 

We taught a couple of our long time investigators in a members home this week. It's a mother and her daughter. The lesson went really well and the members helped out so much. We read through most of Alma 5 together and focused on Repentance. The investigators were so much more involved than usual and really opened up. I have a testimony that working with members is the best way to do missionary work. And when we can have these investigators in the spirit filled homes of the members, the quality of the lessons improve. He that teacheth and he that receiveth  understand one another and both are edified and rejoice together.

The change in the ward back home sound good! Smaller ward, a few new faces and I'm sure a lot of people that will be missed. But they'll all still be close! I'm about halfway done with training now. Time flies. I'll work my hardest in what looks like my final 6 weeks in this area! You all have a wonderful week! 

Love, 
Elder Higginson
 
 We found this out on the Indian Reserve. I thought it was funny. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment