We
visited an old lady who lives a ways outside of town to help her
castrate lambs. That was a hoot! Learning all sorts of lovely skills out
here in the mission field! Probably went through about 50 or 60 of the
little guys. It was somewhat humane I suppose. Chasing lambs around was
good fun.
In other news, on Friday
before last, we visited a lady named Rhonda who the sister missionaries
have been teaching, but she's in our area. The sisters had us come over
because Rhonda had a nasty migrane headache and lots of other problems
going on in her life. So we taught her about Priesthood Blessings and
extended an invitation to receive one. She asked Elder Allen to anoint
and me to give the blessing. It was a humbling and faith promoting
experience. After I said amen, Rhonda said that she felt all tingly and
invigorated. She said that it was never a feeling that she had felt
while attending Catholic church, and she was so grateful. The sisters
reported at district meeting that Rhonda said that her headaches left
her that day and she has been feeling well since. The experience has
given me new reverence for the priesthood in my life. I knew before that
God had power to heal people of their illness, but I was unsure that he
would ever do it through a vessel as imperfect and impulsive as myself. I
am so grateful for this opportunity that I have been given to serve the Lord and watch as His hand works miracles in the lives of His lost
sheep.
Also last week we were just walking up to our
apartment and a lady we see often said that she had a few questions. She
told us that her son, Keyon, was actually the son of her brother who had
died. He had requested of her that he be baptized when he was ready. I'm
pretty sure that the man intended for him to be baptized in the
catholic church, but seeing that he's on the other side, he probably
wouldn't mind him being baptized into ours, hehe ;) And Keyons new mother
really doesn't know that much about religion (obviously, because she is
talking to us about him being baptized and not the Catholics). So we
gave them a Book of Mormon and a pamphlet and we'll teach them in a
couple days and try to get them to church.
But
the big news is transfers. I have been with Elder Allen for 12 weeks
and we anticipated that he would be moving on and I would stay in St.
Albert. But the mission president surprised us! Elder Allen will be
leaving as anticipated: he'll be off to Fort Saskatchewan, a descent
sized town next to nowhere. But I'm leaving too! I'm going to a very
small town called Cherry Grove near a body of water called Cold Lake. It's near the Saskatchewan Border. My area should be pretty big though:
lots of farms and houses spread over a lot of country. I'll be serving
with Elder Larsen (who looks a lot like Nicolas Cage.. I thought you
might like to know that dad). He served here in St. Albert before I was
here, and I met him once. He had a rough patch on his mission, but I hear
he's killin' it now and finishing off strong. He'll go home after I am
with him. Well, I've got lots of packing to do, and food to eat! I hope
the next elders like Canada Dry, I got a big case of it last week and I
can'
t take it all with me.
I love you all and thank you for you're support! I'm off on a new adventure!
Love,
Elder Higginson


No comments:
Post a Comment