For Zone Conference we were asked to study what we learned in the Worldwide training from the First presidency and come prepared to talk about it. I looked over my notes and called on my memory and received a little inspiration and what I should talk about in the meeting. The theme of the worldwide training was teach repentance and baptize converts. But I realized that what we ought to do and what the Lord wants us to do is prepare people to meet the requirements listed in Doctrine and Covenants 20:37. It's more than about just reviewing the missionary lessons they need to be taught in order to be baptized. It's about really getting them ready by helping them to repent and become humble before God and come forth with broken hearts and contrite spirits. It's about them having a desire to endure to the End. When we got to Zone Conference and were in the meeting, President Manion talked about the Doctrine and Covenants 20:37 and it really helped me realize that I was on the right page and that the things which I learned were communicated to me by the Holy Ghost.
We had interviews with President afterwards. There will only be one more after this before he and Sister Manion leave the mission. The two of us have become good friends and I really trust him. I cannot express in words how much I love and respect him and his wife. They've helped me through so much difficulty and I'll be forever in their debt. I told him to send me wherever next transfer and jokingly told him to put me in a Mandarin speaking assignment haha. I can handle just about anything at this point.
We were able to meet with all of our solid investigators this week! We did a split with the Tagalog Elders and taught Jess in a members home. Afterwards the Ward Mission Leader took him over to the Church and he was able to meet the Bishop and many others and check out the Chapel and Baptisimal Font. He really enjoyed that and he is really serious about getting baptized on the 26th of March. I thought I would have just left the area, but we will be having a seven week transfer due to extension of MTC time! An answer to a prayer that I have had for some time, If he is totally ready by that date. And he came to Church!!! After the services he said he just felt happy. He also told us he has 8 kids, ages 1-14, and a wife in Manila. He wants to bring them here and bring them into the church! We'll see if we cant get the family taught over there by some Elders.
We met with the Native family as well, and things are moving along! They have been reading the Book of Mormon as a family! There was a little concern when we invited them to be baptized, because they already have been, but I think if we can get them to come to church (when Hockey is done. My least favorite false God people worship up here) That concern will fade away. We have a member up here who is half Native and involved in Teaching People on one of the Reserves north of Rocky. She will be coming to our next lesson.
We continue to find new people to teach and we are getting the members involved! Things will be changing in Ward Council and elsewhere and the members are increasing in excitement to do missionary work! I can indeed say that I will be leaving this place better than I found it. I hope you all have a wonderful week!
Love,
Elder Higginson
No comments:
Post a Comment