Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Mamatay na ang dapat Mamatay!!!!

Magundung umaga po!!
Well, this week has been messed up, and it looks like the next 6 weeks will be as well. Elder Pring is finally getting transferred (down to Red Dear), So he's super exited. I'll be with Elder Ronquillio. I mentioned briefly last week that we would be receiving another member in our companionship for a short season. Well looks like I'll be with him for at least 6 weeks. 
So it ended up being a terrible Idea to have him come down here. We thought we would need him because we heard he spoke Cebuano, (and we have an investigator who speaks Cebuano) but he evidently forgot how to speak the language. He speaks some Tagalog and hardly any English. He's been out for 11 months and doesn't know how to use a daily planner. during the lessons we've had with him this week, he's managed to inform two people that only men can hold the priesthood, which is true, but totally unnecessary for people to know during our first visit. In short, I'm basically going to have to train this punk. I don't know why, but there have been a lot of disobedient and lazy Tagalog missionaries over the last couple years, and the culture of it has been perpetuated into a lot of the native Filipino Elders. My current companion Turned from the wicked traditions of his fathers after serving with his last companion, Elder Walker and now with me. He wants to be obedient and knows how to be. I'm proud of his progress.
Looks like another difficult assignment from President. Time to forget myself and go to work.
Everything is going well with Christians progression towards baptism. He accepted the law of Tithing with enthusiasm this week and has committed to live the law! And his friend who brought him a church activity in the fist place will be the one to baptism. His name is brother Hues and he is the best Member missionary in town! He drove his bike like a third of the way across Edmonton just to be present at our lesson this week. Salt of the earth kind of guy. 
The stake has become aware of Brother Christians situation and has got involved, so there is some crazy stuff we have to work out. Because of work, Christian can only attend in the mornings, so he can't attend the ward in the area where he lives. so we've arranged with President to have him confirmed and attend in a different ward. The problem is he can't receive a calling unless he attends the ward he is supposed to. The last resort is to move his records into the ward he is able to attend, which will require going through Salt Lake. It doesn't happen often because the church is concerned about people getting lost when they move or if they go less active, which makes sense. We will need to have a definite place for him to attend church by the end of the week.
This is such a pain and I'm doing it all by myself. I don't know exactly why, but maybe it's because Elder Pring is not as comfortable speaking with White people. And now I'll be totally be myself to everything and somehow get the message to Brother Christian concerning what church he will attend, and what he should do with Work. A member of the stake presidency recommend he try negotiate with his boss on the grounds of religious freedom to have time to attend Church on Sunday. Evidently you can do that legally but I don't know if it will work. Employers here seem to abuse Filipinos willingness to work and they don't negotiate well. Please pray for us.
On a positive note, one of our recent converts (brother Jay, who was baptized a week after I got here) Gave a sweet talk in Stake Conference!!!!!!!!!! He talked about his conversion process and he said he almost passed out. Then Elder Stacy of the 70 got up and had him stay while he asked the missionaries who taught him to talk about how the ward helped. The focus of the conference was about how Councils in the ward and stake bless members. It was super great. We'll be celebrating by going to the house of Grace and Jay and they will be feeding us Balute and Turron. Should be good! 
Well, lots of news this week, I hope you are all adjusting to life with School and all the other crazy things :) Love you tons and I'll give a report in a week!
Love, 
Elder Higginson

No comments:

Post a Comment