Monday, February 2, 2015

The work is long, but must go on!

Greatings from Canada!

The temperatures droped back down to what should be expected for Canada in January. this week has been from -3 C to -20 C yesterday morning. Don't worry though, another elder forgot his ear-muffs at our place when he was on exchanges, then he got transferred. Not much we can do, so I wear them from time to time haha. I have got all I need to stay warm. 

This week has been a bit of a drag, but not totally wasted. My poor companion was dealing with anxiety problems for a couple days but he's come out of it for the most part. I've been doing all I can to help him, and he has consulted the Mission heath specialist which really helped. Barbra was deathly ill this week and had to cancel her appointment which was a bummer. Our district has been downsized a couple of Elders so there's only 6 of us left at district meeting, counting the Zone Leaders. Yea, I think that's all the bad news, but nevertheless. 

I had a solid exchange on Wednesday with a Zone Leader from another Area. His name is Elder Wattups and he's from Idaho Falls. He's got a great attitude and a love for the work. It was sort of refreshing going tracting with him. We found a lady and she agreed to meet with us in a week at 3:00. Too bad I won't be there haha, but it was good experience. Last night we went Ice skating with an awesome Catholic guy that the missionaries have been working with for a long time. He and his wife are just salt of the earth people, and they have a son in the National Hockey League. Yea, So I couldn't really remember how to skate, but he taught me how. By the end I had started to get in the flow. We also played a little hockey, the non contact brutal kind haha and it was a ton of fun! afterwards we went and got hot chocolate and talked to him and his son in law about our missions and about the gospel. He brought up something that bothered him about the the Catholic church concerning celibacy for their Clergy and the problems that it created. We explained to him about Temples and eternal marriage and the things we belive. A couple months before I came, Elder Allen and his companion gave them a Family Proclamation. They said that they believed everything on the Proclamation and they reported that they had given one to each of their children. They are the greatest people ever and they'd make the Greatest Mormons ever!! We'll keep working with them. They are a fun lovin' people and they get a kick out of my Scottish Accent and William Wallace impersonation hahaha! Next time we skate with him we'll be bringing a couple members of the ward.

Well, we'll keep working here and hopefully find someone new to teach soon, and get our current investigators keeping commitments and coming to church. I love missionary work, It is transforming me. I am getting out of my comfort zone and leaving the old, self centered parts of my nature behind. When Jesus returned after the resurection and instructed Peter to feed his sheep he spoke to him saying: "When thou wast young, thou girdesdst thyself, and walkedst whither thou wouldest: but when thou shalt by old, thou shalt stretch forth thy hands, and another shall gird thee, and carry thee whither thou wouldest not." I know that in the strength of the Lord, I can overcome obstacles and rise above the circumstances of mortality. And I know that all who put their trust in God will overcome their challenges. 

Thank you for all of your love and support! I love you all dearly! I still can't believe you got a dog! 

Love, 
Elder Higginson.

No comments:

Post a Comment